Thursday 16 April 2015

Gays Not Allowed?!?!?

second thought: Thursday April 2

Gays Not Allowed?!?!?

I'm drinking a coffee, not a latte.
My twitter feed is full of hotties...male hotties.
I don't drive a mini cooper
but my public transit card makes me feel super-duper.
I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew...
And Indiana, I'm never spending my fucking money on you!

Do I have to change my name? NO!
Will it get me far? *shrugs*
Should I lose some weight? Duh, I'm gay!
Will it get me far? Yeah, especially on Grindr!

I'm living out the Canadian dream
And in the U.S., nothing is what is seems...


Yes, this week's "Thursday Thoughts" references Madonna's "American Life" but there's a huge part of me that is tremendously happy that my parents decided to immigrate to Canada and not the US.

The American Dream? Fuck it!

When I read about marriage equality issues in the US, it's disheartening. When I read about general human rights in a first world "republic" like the US, it's saddening. The same group of people in the US that burn the Koran wield the bible to suppress various groups of people born and raised in the US. And you think you're different, better, and morally supreme to ISIS? Yes, I'm talking to you, Indiana, and any other state (hello, Alabama!) planning to pass similar bigotry as law. I recall such legislation was passed in Germany...before I was born...when they revoked rights from the Jews. And look how that turned out...


Recently I spent five days in a hospital in Toronto for emergency surgery and I was welcomed with the best medical service a gay man could ask for. The nurses were exceptional (Mount Sinai - give those nurses a well-deserved raise!!!) They knew I was gay the moment I walked in. I don't think I look gay (I have long hair - how many gay men have long hair?!?) but I arrived with my worried partner who was with me the entire time. He kissed me goodbye, in front of everyone, when we knew I'd be there overnight waiting for tests and results. The nurse called him when I went in and came out of surgery. They allowed him to visit me in the recovery room. He kissed me hello in front of the nursing staff. The night nurse, who took excellent care of me, commented on how sweet and attractive my partner was. He visited me every day without question - are you family? YES! He's been my unmarried partner for ten years! He picked up my parents who live outside the city to visit me. He drove them home and returned to the city. And my Catholic parents praised him for the support he gave them and me during this time. Some nurses were jealous that I had such a supportive partner. And never was I questioned of my sexuality...not even when they took blood or considered giving me blood during my five-day stay. The surgeon even laughed when I told her I was gay and why would I consider having children. She scolded me, humourously, that gays could have kids too and I should keep my options open, even if I was close to turning forty.

Then there's Indiana where I can buy a cake wearing a gun but I will be refused cake if I'm holding the hand of a man who has been my support for ten years. If I wasn't holding his hand but came into a bakery holding a gun, would I be served? Some people look "gay" while others do not. Will Indiana start playing the "who looks gay" game? Will carrying a gun make the difference? I hate guns as much as I hate bigots, so I will avoid Indiana and any other similar US state. Every time I've driven through the South of the US, I felt uncomfortable - will they stone me / kill me for being gay? I'm not being facetious. I am literally scared driving the second part of my trip every time I head to the gay beaches of Miami. If Jim Parsons walked into a bakery in Indiana, would they deny him service? Well, probably because he plays a character on TV that believes in science and not theology. This is probably a larger issue than Jim being gay.

But I'm glad the US is a republic...I can like parts of it and dislike the rest of it (yes, you too Alaska with your Sarah Palins!) We may have to put up with people like Rob Ford and Ford Nation in Canada, but regardless of the damage they've done (and may do in the future), they will not take my gay rights away. Try to pray my gay away but it won't work...my mother has tried for years! If we can't pray the gay away from priests, cardinals, bishops and popes...maybe gays are part of God's plan. But God doesn't exist...only atoms and molecules. I'm so very glad my atoms believe in living for love without boundaries (or prejudices!)

That said, I must stop my rant. I'm being rolled into my next anal probing. Oh get your head out of your ass! I'm having a colonoscopy! Oh, I wonder if those are banned in Indiana for being too "gay?"

No comments:

Post a Comment