Tuesday 12 May 2015

Mondays Drag Me to the Edge of the Universe


Hello, Monday.
It's a mad, mad world, Monday.
The universe is running one way
and I'm the only lonely figure
pushing the opposite direction.

Strangers stare at the oddity
that curtails the normative routine
of morning travel.
I will not climb those steps
and I will not ride that bus
to a destination I know too well
because it terrifies me,
it'll suck the life from me,
and I'll assert to venture no more.

What's my alternate plan?
I can't go home...he'll know
and my broken spirit
and my tangled brain
cannot survive the strangle
of his anticipated words.

I'll walk away.
That's it! I'll walk away.
Pushing in the opposite direction,
I'll keep moving until my feet are blistered whole
and their pain numb into my legs.
I'll stop only when I reach the edge
of the universe that keeps running
at a speed too quick for me.

But my cellphone rings
and beeps, and beeps, and beeps.
Missed calls, missed messages.
I don't need to check the messenger
fore it is he who calls and texts me,
looking for me
on this day of betrayal.

The cellphone flies across a bridge,
landing in a river,
and the beeping finally fades away
like my love for him.
I'd rather be the drowning phone
than the suffocating puppet
in his life.

But did I think this through?
I forgot my stash of cash
hidden from his knowings.
I can return and attempt its retrieval
yet I risk being caught and chained.
Probably punched and beaten
for my betrayal.
No, I'll keep on walking
until my feet disappear
and I'm hopping on two stumps
and begging for food and water
from any passerby that might make eye contact
and observe my distress.

I'll eventually fall to the ground
in defeat for my pursuit
of trying to escape the universe's plan
for this mad, mad world
that surrounds and smothers me
in the arms of a man who says he loves me
and confines me
with chains of subjugation.

I will only bow to my own decisions
crawling on the ground
to find refuge in a freedom
that offers no food,
no water,
no help from others;
but I'm liberated
to return to the earth
as the elements that created me.

I cannot breathe and I cannot write
as the edge of the universe dangles near my broken body
and I make a final...

No comments:

Post a Comment